For more than 68 years, Travis Credit Union has been committed to help people live better. Through financial education, financial literacy and financial advocacy we have assisted countless families and individuals get out of debt, improve credit scores and purchase needed transportation to get to and from work. And that’s just the start.
We’ve also helped people understand the real estate process that resulted in buying a home they can finally call their own. Through our Mary Keith Duff Memorial Scholarship program, we’ve had a front-row seat to watching college dreams come true for our members. We’ve taught thousands of young people how to budget their money, become financially responsible and independent through our Mad City Money teen financial workshops.
Now, with our newly formed Travis Credit Union Foundation (a 501c3 nonprofit corporation), we can do even more!
Authentic community impact
Money management is high on the list of taboo topics and many are feeling the impact of financial illiteracy. Consider these statistics:
- Two-thirds of Americans struggle to come up with $1,000 in an emergency, according to research by The Associated Press
- Only 24 percent of millennials demonstrate basic financial literacy, according to the National Endowment for Financial Education.
- Nearly one-third of Americans pay the minimum due on their credit card each month, according to FINRA’s National Financial Capability Study.
Without focused effort and resources that address the root of the problem rather than the symptom, the financial burden felt by these individuals eventually will adversely affect entire communities and generations to come.
We have an opportunity to do something about it, and our efforts will be a power force for change in the communities. Through the TCU Foundation, we will create authentic community impact and make a lasting difference.
More resources for more outreach
As a not-for-profit credit union, our ability to do this important work is contingent on available funds generated through Travis Credit Union. Establishing the TCU Foundation as a legal entity in its own right allows us to raise and accumulate more resources to fund our Awesome Cause of financial education, financial literacy and financial advocacy.
As a nonprofit 501c3 corporation, the TCU Foundation is eligible for public and private grants. Our members, employees and supporters can make tax-free contributions that go directly back to the people and communities they love.
Why give to the Travis Credit Union Foundation?
The needs are great in the communities we serve and there are a lot of worthy organizations. Here are reasons why you should support the Travis Credit Union Foundation:
- 100% of your contribution goes to the cause. The Travis Credit Union Foundation is unique in that we maximize every cent of your donation and achieve 100% impact in your community.
- We are the only nonprofit solely focused on financial education, financial literacy and financial advocacy in the twelve counties we serve. When we spread ourselves too thin through multiple giving efforts, we can do a little for many people. When we focus our efforts with laser-like intensity on what we believe is the root cause of many community issues, we have an opportunity to make lasting change for this generation and generations to come.
- We directly benefit your community. When you give to the Foundation, your funds stay local in the communities you care about and you end up with more financially literate communities.
For donation information, contact Damian Alarcon, TCU Foundation Manager, at (707) 469-4985 or email Damian Alarcon. Or visit the Foundation website at tcufund.org.
Together, we are a powerful force for change in our communities.